Thursday, January 5, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Hazelnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies

With all the hustle and bussle of the holiday season, I almost forgot to share with you one of my newest recipes! These is the second cookie recipe I brought with me to Miss Erin DeHart of  The Lime & The Coconut's 2nd annual cookie exchange party. 

Hazelnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Recipe Courtesy of Smitten Kitchen
(found using Pinterest)
Yields: 2 dozen
(I ended up with a little under 24 cookies)

Ingredients
1 almost-full cup (4 ounces) hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and cooled (Suggest cutting this down to 1/2 or 3/4 cup, otherwise hazelnut taste is a bit overwhelming, and I love hazelnuts)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate (First pass I used chocolate baking discs; 2nd time I used a Hershey's Kiss in the middle- I would recommend this one since they melt nicer and there is more chocolate to cut the hazelnut flavor.)


Preparation
Pulse hazelnuts, flour, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. (Be careful not to grind to a paste.) Transfer to a bowl and stir in butter, egg, and extract until combined well. Chill dough, covered, until firm, about 30 minutes.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Drop level tablespoons of dough 1 inch apart onto 2 ungreased baking sheets. Roll dough into balls (I just used a cookie scoop or melon ball scoop for this step). Chill until slightly firm, about 10 minutes.

Press one piece of chocolate firmly into the top of each ball of cookie dough and bake, 1 sheet at a time, until tops are pale golden and undersides are golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. Trust me, these go from "oh they could use another minute" or "crap, overdone." Transfer cookies to a rack and cool completely.

These cookies are delicious! I'm a huge fan of hazelnut! Only thing is that they are somewhat involved to make and are rather time consuming to prepare. If you are a hazelnut lover like me, I definitely recommend trying this recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment