Friday, November 30, 2012

Goal #70: Cook a meal in my Crockpot

This sounds like a simple goal, but after years (2 to be exact, I asked for it for Christmas) of having my crockpot sit in it's box unopened, I finally decided a DZP goal was the only way I'd actually break it out. And I did! This fall is the first time I've actually used it!


Italian Sausage and Vegetables

Recipe Courtesy of: Taste of Home, Slow Cooker Cookbook
Recipe can be found online here.
Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1-1/4 pounds sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage links
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
  • 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ( also added 2 TBSP on minced garlic- we love garlic)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil ( I used 1/4 of garlic Italian seasoning as a substitute)
  • 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
  • 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Optional: the recipe did not call for this but I wanted add in more veggies and more sauce 
  • 1 red bell peper, sliced 
  • 1 green bell paper, sliced 
  • 2 cups of tomato sauce (I had home made sauce I wanted to utilize)
** Note this yields 6 servings, and since there are only 2 of us, I divided the recipe in two and froze the other half for another evening. Note: I omitted the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce when freezing and labelled my freezer bag with the additional items that need to be added.

Directions
  • In a nonstick skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. 
  • Cut vegetables and adde veggies and seasonings to slow cooker. 
  • Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
  • Remove sausages and cut into 1-in. pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in bread crumbs. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cheese. 
I love coming home to a yummy smelling house!

No comments:

Post a Comment