Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Goal #77: Bind my Great Grandma's spice book

It's about time I finally did this for my GG! She gave me her 1964 Spices of the World Cookbook by McCormick probably 2 years ago, and I finally got around to fixing it for her. I know, I'm a horrible Great Granddaughter!

She celebrated her 93rd birthday last month and I knew I had to make sure and re-gift it to her.

Since this cookbook was paper cover, and about 50 years old, all the glue used in the spine was dried out and cracking, making it so the pages were falling out. Here is the before:
The book was in several pieces, as you can see to the right. I had to perfect bind the book into sections, and allow it to dry, before I put the entire book together. I used Neutral Adhesive Glue since the pages were very old and yellowed- this is acid free and good for book binding. All the bookbinding skills I have are thanks to my college Paper Making class- and my general craftiness. 
At the end I had a very happy Great Grandma, you can see here her enjoying her newly bound, old to new(ish) again spice book.

When she opened it she said "So, does this mean you were sick of me bitching at you about this book?" 

Who knew old ladies cursed!

I always feel extremely blessed to have this strong Norweign women in my family- at 93 years old she is more spunk and life in her then some people I've seen in their 60's. 



HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY GG!  
xoxo, 
Your 1st Great Granddaughter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment