Friday, January 11, 2013

Goal #78: Roast a Pumpkin

This sounds like a strange goal, but do you ever think of what happens to all those uncarved pumpkins after Halloween? They either become moldy and rotten or smashed on the side of the road where the gang of unruly teenagers discards them.

Unfortunately, we never got around to carving our beautiful pumpkins that we spent so much time picking out on our way back from our Palms Springs Getaway weekend. You might remember them as  Mr. Lumpy and the Albino Mr. Scarface.

Well, when it came time to get rid of the fall decor, and break out the Christmas decorations, I decided to attempt at roasting them, and turning them into a nice puree so I could use it for baking. I googled "How to Make pumpkin puree from a real pumpkin" and came up with this.


It seemed simple enough, so off to the kitchen I went. The directions are as follows:

  1. Take pumpkin and clean/wipe down the inside. Chop in half and scrap out all the fibers/seeds. If you want at this time you can keep the seeds separate if you are interesting in roasting those as well.
  2. Once it's all cleaned out, I ended up chopping the halves it into quarters. You might have to do smaller pieces depending on your pan size. 
  3. Take a roasting pan and place the pieces upside down (so insides facing the pan). Add about 1 cup of water to pan. 
  4. Set oven to 400F and bake for 30 min or so, until they are tender. I ended up leaving it in for about 45 minutes. The outside of the pumpkin will become a deep orange color. 
  5. LET THEM COOL. Seriously, don't skip this step. I attempted handling them way to soon because I was rushing, and it wasn't worth it to start fussing with them. 
  6. Once cool, scoop out the "flesh" of the pumpkins into a large bowl. I used a spoon in order to do this. It should easily come off if they are baked enough. 
  7. You can mash the pumpkin in the bowl, or move it straight over to your food processor/high speed blender and blend until you get the puree consistency you desire. 
  8. I then drained any extra juice/liquid and placed them in my desired containers or storing/freezing. 
  9. Enjoy your homemade pumpkin puree!
I had lots of fun recipes saved that included pumpkin puree, but it so happens that Miss Lulu, the diva dog has been enjoying my pumpkin puree with her now homemade dog food. Turns out she has a food allergy and so I'm now making homemade food, along with switching her over to grain free dry dog food. So, sadly no pumpkin flavored baked goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment